Action Week — India; 12th to 16th October, 2020
The World Bank and IMF are having their Annual General Meetings(virtual) from the 12th to 18th of October, 2020 where these institutions will go ahead and laud themselves for the achievement of dolling out billions of dollars for supporting economies through the pandemic and will set the course of direction for the next year. The World Bank Group(WB) continues to be the lead Multilateral Development Bank defining development and reshaping policies and economies to fit the neoliberal agenda and continues to grow its influence in India.
Why: It is important as civil society, we respond and expose the Bank’s hidden agendas and lack of interest in inclusive and sustainable development for marginalised communities. The Bank is organising its Annual General Meetings(virtual) from the 12th to 18th of October, 2020.
What: As a sign of protest to the World Bank’s policies, interventions, and impacts on economies, Indian groups under the aegis of Working Group on IFIs (WGoIFIs.net) is organising a week of protest “World Without World Bank- Action Week” from 12th October to 16th October.”
How: As a part of the week long protest, we plan to collectively organise social media campaigns, webinars, release press statements, through the week focussing on World Bank’s role in impacting policies, development agenda, governance structures in general, on different sectors and impacts on people.
What can you do:
- Tweet with relevant hashtags according to the theme of each day. The hashtags would be shared soon.
- Post short videos on Twitter and other Social Media in English, Hindi and regional languages and share with us so that we can amplify the voices.
- Post articles/blogs/opinion pieces on the issue.
- Issue Press Statements in regional/local media.
- Organize Online Meetings/Webinars in your groups and networks.
- Share Cartoons, Posters, Photos of Protest Against the World Bank (even earlier ones will do).
Please do share any resource materials/press statements/event information with us so that we can amplify them. You can send them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Whatsapp at 9910137929.
Themes of the day:
12th October, 2020-
• World Bank Reform Agenda
• Agricultural Sector
13th October, 2020-
• Health Sector
• COVID-19 Response
14th October, 2020-
• Public Sector Banking
15th October, 2020 –
• Ease of Doing Business
• Labour sector
16th October, 2020-
• Energy Sector
More details will follow